Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 22, 2011

On the Block---The Mounting Block

I don't think Josie's ever been asked to stand still for mounting.   I don't get the feeling she's being sloppy, just that she knows she's got a job to do and doesn't see any reason not to get right to it.   So, it's kind of fun trying  to introduce this concept to her.  I learned alot about teaching a horse to stand still for mounting at the Mark Rashid clinic I took Willow to this past January.   I'd gone through having Willow held for me (on the rare occasions I wasn't alone), and another clinician had taught me to refocus him by moving his hind end around from one side of the mounting block to the other, when he would swing his haunches away from me on the block.   Mark Rashid's approach was completely different.   He had me stand on the block and just very slowly and patiently draw my horse---one halting step at a time---into mounting position.   We stopped after each step---or even each lean--- for praise and to be sure the horse had time to figure out what was wanted.   If he swung out, we just softly repositioned and started over.  No remonstrating, just allowing the horse whatever time he needed to figure it out.   It's worked great with Willow, though it does require patience, as does most horse work.   So that's where I am with Miss Josie.   Her issue is more nearly just walking forward and away, or since she's achieved pocket-pony status--- taking a step back.   Neither move brings reward or punishment, merely gentle repositioning and another try.  Success brings much praise and a treat, maybe a couple for continued stillness.    She's much better, although she still wants to move off at when I lean onto her the slightest bit.  But that's the next step, so to speak.  What a little Jeep she is!   Perhaps I should have gotten a mule years ago!   

No comments:

Post a Comment