Total Pageviews

Monday, January 14, 2013

Woody and His Little People


 

When I found Woody most of his experience with people must have been indifferent at best, but mostly bad.  Even though he came to trust me completely over our twenty-two years, he never really became comfortable with the idea of having his face stroked or petted.  Most horses I have known have enjoyed a gentle stroke or pat, and Woody was no exception, as long as you kept it to his neck.
IMAG1864.jpg
 In any herd he was always low man on the totem pole and for all our time together I had to either provide him a separate area to eat, or if I couldn’t do that, then I needed to physically guard him so he could eat in peace.  He definitely appreciated it, and even enjoyed being stroked and talked to as his ate.  I could actually see his whole being soften and relax under my hand, and since a lot of horses would just as soon you leave them alone to eat, I really valued those times with him.  Even his ears would relax, and  I felt good that I could do something for him that he really appreciated.  Woody was pretty undemonstrative.  It took about ten years before he’d unbend enough to let his lips twitch when I scratched him, up til then as far as I knew he was just tolerating me.
  IMAG1863.jpg
But Woody had a weakness, and it was little people.  Children fascinated him, and the feeling was mutual.  I have a large family with lots of cousins and from time to time the idea of “pony rides” would come up.  Woody was just a different horse for them.  No matter how hot he was for adults to ride, he was a true steady Eddy for children, happy to plod slowly round and round the yard.  After he’d been around twice I could probably have put him in charge and turned him loose with them, as no further leading was necessary, he knew where to go and where to comeback and stop at.   Once I put a tiny Irish cousin up on him, not knowing that she already took lessons back home.  I could see Woody’s consternation and confusion as he raised his head when he felt her pick up the reins and put her tiny legs on him!  But at a word from me his head came back down and he heaved a big sigh as he realized they were cues he should ignore.  Children were the only ones who were welcome to touch his face, and even if their excitement made them pat him enthusiastically he never pulled away from them. 
IMAG1862.jpg

IMAG1865.jpg
And another little horse-crazy girl is born.

No comments:

Post a Comment