Total Pageviews

Friday, January 4, 2013

Willow and the Boy Scout


 

My niece and her son came to visit last summer.  She and I have a pretty strained relationship but we try to make it work on account of the kids.  Her family is  all very into Scouting  and one day, out of the blue she told me that Jason needed some kind of horsemanship certification, and she naturally  assumed I’d be thrilled to help with that. Five years or so ago, before we fell out she’d gone through a horsey phase, wanting to learn to drive, and  I could teach her theory til the cows came home, but I could not get her to gear herself down enough not to drive any live horse crazy.  So, she kind of bull-dozed over my protestations that it’d been many years since I’d done any kind of formal teaching and besides, to my knowledge Willow had never even met a little person and had certainly  had never been used for any sort of demonstration.  I agreed to give it the old college try, contingent upon Willow remaining happy and untroubled. 

I know I didn’t get any sleep that night, but next morning I collected Jason, and we went to the barn and I caught up Willow.  He’s the absolute sweetest-natured horse, but he views all strange humans with initial distrust, thanks to his early saddle seat training.  A couple of peppermints convinced him that Jason was at least potentially a friend, and we began with haltering and unhaltering.   At first Jason’s movements and gestures  were a little too abrupt for Willow’s taste, but he picked up on Willow raising his head away and leaning back from him and quickly figured out how to be slow, gentle, and calm.  Willow heaved a big sigh, licked and chewed and from then on was much more relaxed.  We worked through tieing  safely including proper length of rope to have between horse and post---or in this case tree--- as well as safety knots, and  I followed that with a  grooming demonstration and Jason’s repetition and Willow was perfect.  He stood like a champ while Jason curried and brushed and  then stood three-legged some more while the boy picked endlessly at his hooves.  It’s always hard to realize  just how much force is required to get the dirt out of a foot when I guess you’re mentally picturing digging a hoof  pick into your own. 

Next, I led Willow and Jason walked along side as we moseyed to my lunging area for basic leading.   I watched Willow like a hawk for signs of nervousness because even with me he’ll occasionally perceive some quick danger and pull back.  He always comes right back to me, with an almost embarrassed look, but I didn’t want his feet  anywhere near my tennis-shoe clad nephew’s toes.  To my slight amazement Jason listened closely and followed pretty exactly all my instructions.  They circled to the left, working on “whoa”, and “walk on”, then back to the right, before I turned them loose to make a circuit of the pasture.  Again, Willow was a star, ambling along beside Jason like an old dude string horse.   Jason’s grin was so big I almost needed sunglasses.  He’s small for his age and I guess he gets picked on some, and I could see it did him good to be able to control and be in harmony with such a big creature. 
IMAG1367.jpg
IMAG1368.jpg

The moment of truth had arrived.  I’d reserved the right to pull the plug (so to speak) on this project at any time if the child or horse were uncomfortable, but both were relaxed and happy, and Willow appeared to be enjoying this new experience as much as Jason.  I tacked Willow up, explaining all the while, then untacked him and walked the boy through putting all the gear back on.  I put on my helmet and prepared to demonstrate mounting, mouth going a mile a minute in my effort not to leave anything out.  I parked  Willow by the mounting block, thanking my stars that we’d worked so much on standing still, after Mark Rashid showed me how to better communicate my expectations along those lines.  Holding onto the reins and pommel with my left hand and the cantle with my right as I emphasized how important safety is in this, I put my left foot in the stirrup and stood up in it, allowing the iron to take my weight.  Imagine my surprise and horror as the saddle and I slid inevitably down Willow’s side, and I was deposited on my back under his belly, as he bent his head and looked at me inquiringly.  I could just see the wheels turning in his head as he tried to figure out what new idea this was supposed to be, and what the correct reaction was.  Yes folks, I’d been so caught up in my effort to cover everything that I’d forgotten to tighten the girth.  I was mortified.  But I couldn’t help being quietly thrilled at Willow’s (non)reaction to my stupidity.  I don’t think the kid actually realized what a catastrophe my “fall” could have been, although I tried to make it clear, not sparing myself in the telling of what a gigantic mistake forgetting to tighten the girth actually was.  After that, actually having Jason mount and walk around quietly practicing turning, stopping and walking off as I kept hold of the lead rope was pretty anticlimactic.  By this time, we’d  had Willow out for over two hours and I figured we’d accomplished plenty for one day.  Jason untacked him with my help, brushed and patted him and I turned him loose for a well-earned roll.  I don’t know if he ever did learn to trot, but I was satisfied that he’d had a decent basicintroduction to horsemanship and I was absolutely thrilled with my little green horse, who proved that often they just need a chance to step up to the plate and act like a grown horse who knows what he’s doing. 
IMAG1372.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment