Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Over the River and Through the Woods...

 IMG_20121120_112537.jpg
Every November I head west to Phoenix for Thanksgiving with my sister.  She’s in assisted living, and doing pretty well but basically marooned from family. When I realized how the holidays bothered her I got in the habit more than a decade ago of spending Thanksgivings with her.  I visit her a couple of other times in the year as well, but Thanksgiving is a given. 
 
IMG_20121120_113314.jpg

Barbara moved to Arizona from Virginia, and while she loves Arizona I know she also misses the greens of her native state. To that end I usually go out into the woods the day before I leave and pick her a mess of running cedar. 
IMG_20121120_112548.jpg



 

Running Cedar is a grows along the ground and is an evergreen plant.  It’s a “ Clubmoss”, which isn’t really a moss,  but more of a fern.  It’s very short and  has straight stems with tiny flat branches which spread like fans.   Running Cedar grows mostly in the woods where there are a lot of dead leaves on the ground.  It often grows in harmony with Partridge Berry, and they look lovely together. 

A bank of running cedar is beautiful, but it grows so erratically that it takes an awful lot to make a wreath!  It would take more patience than I’ve got to make one from nothing but running cedar, so I just wrap and wire it around Barbara’s regular Christmas wreath to add a little natural greenery to her door.  Wish I had some mistletoe, but I’m not that good a shot!
IMG_20121120_114248.jpg
If I didn't know better, I'd swear the wood peckers around here must be armed with machine guns!
IMAG1669.jpg
I'll leave you with the winter sunset that we were blessed with tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment