Total Pageviews

Friday, November 9, 2012

How the Goaty Girls came to Shadow Lake Farm---part one



 

I always assumed I'd have at least two horses for the rest of my life.  A 'riding horse' and probably the previous riding horse, now retired.   As a child I had an 'only horse' for years without thinking about it, but I rode a lot more then and my horse had a lot more interaction with friends.  Now, riding time has decreased tremendously and it's rare indeed that a friend's and my free time coincides for a few hours. 

Scott and I are as close to perfect for each other as I think it's possible to be, but it would be nice if one of us had a 'financial bone'.  I haven't balanced a checkbook for at least two husbands--- finding my best results by listing all deposits as $25 less than they really are, and all debits as at least $5 more than actuality.  Pathetic, I know, but it's like I've got dyslexia with numbers.  They never come out the same.  Drove my math-teacher father to distraction.  Aaaanyway, we've been making a concerted effort to grow up and be responsible adults, and high time too.  I still can't balance our check book but I'm trying.  For months we have been crunching numbers to try and find a workable budget.  My work as a pet-sitter is erratic and Scott can't work now, but that's another story.  After Woody passed on last year Willow was fine on his own and I was in no hurry to get a replacement.  I figured the answer would show itself.  And, did it ever.  No matter what I did with the numbers I couldn't make the costs of having two horses fit into our resources.  Now I was in a quandry, because my horse's welfare is always my first concern, and horses are indisputably herd animals.  While some, like Willow live very well and apparently contentedly alone I know in my bones it's not right for them. 

Other equines, such as ponies, minis and donkeys are certainly easier keepers, right?  I struggled with the donkey issue, because Carson's over at the 7MSN are incredibly sweet and endlessly entertaining.  What tipped the balance away was that I'd still have pretty much the same veterinary and hoof-trimming costs.  Theoretically, I could learn to trim my own.  My wonderful bare foot trimmer Marilyn Gilligan has generously offered to teach me, but I worry too much about hoof angles and wouldn't want to trust my kids to my faulty eyesight. 
 
Pigs, and chickens I considered and discarded because I just didn't see them forming a herd with Willow.  Sheep are high-maintenance with their coats and I didn't see me making use of the fruits of my extra labors with them.  Hmmm, goats have been keeping race horses company in their stalls for hundreds of years, haven't they?  Many a hot-blooded thoroughbred, too nervous to live well in a stall has shared it happily with a goat.  So, obviously the inter-species bond is good.   And goats have such funny, endearing little faces.  The blogs I read definitely tipped the balance for me, convincing me that goats can make very good pets.   I had very little real  life experience with them, a childhood friend had one on the farm, and there was one at the stable where I learned to ride, but that was it.  More research was definitely called for.
Three goat husbandry books later, I was as sure as I could be that getting Willow a goat was the best answer for all of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment