Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Willow and his Goaty Girls are a family

IMAG1681_snaptastic.jpg


Well, I'd say my plan for keeping a horse and goats together is working out as well as I could possibly have hoped.  Willow has become quite fond of his little GGs.  The last several days I've gone out in the mid-late afternoon and surprised the three of them taking a siesta together!  It is so sweet to see the three of them curled up close to each other in the hay.  I think it's really being good for Willow to have them here, because I actually can't remember the last time I saw him lie down.  I've read that sometimes a lone horse may become short of real rest or deep sleep, being reluctant to lie down alone, or with no one on watch.  I'd never thought about it in reference to Willow but now that I have, I'm concerned that he has perhaps felt this unease.  I've hardly if ever seen him lying down since Woody died over a year ago.  He stands around dozing a normal amount, completely relaxed, but never flat out, or even on his sternum.  He rolls occasionally, so I knew he doesn't have any problems getting up or down.  Of course, I'm one of those people whose heart speeds up unpleasantly at the sight of my horse ever lying down, and I only restrain myself with difficulty from checking to be sure they're alright.  Too much experience with colic to view a reclining horse totally calmly.  But seeing Willow napping in the hay with the GGs this week is a wonder.  It makes me feel like I've done something right for him, even if I can't afford a second horse anymore.  Although I will say that I see no evidence that any of the three are 'keeping watch', but I guess it's having company and friends that counts.  The real trick has been to try to get a shot of them before they realize I'm there and get up to see what treats I've brought for them.  Most of my shots look like this:

IMAG1682_snaptastic.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment